Re: [DML] Replacement transmission?

I'm one for staying as original but the 3-speed automatic doesn't
cut it. I've always felt this was the only real mistake they made. I
mean they didn't put a 4-speed manual in and I know they had 4-
speed automatics back then. And before anyone suggests it, I
can't go with the 5-speed due to my bum left knee.

While a transmission AND engine swap would be interesting I'd
say it's not necessary. The standard engine is capable
especially with enhancements. Not to mention it only
complicates things.

My choice would be to put in a 5-speed auto, ideally a tiptronic for
manual shifts. Since the Porsche manuals seem compatible so
might the tiptronics. I believe Porsche has been offering them for
a number of years now. Perhaps before the 911 restyle and
engine swap.

Sounds like the best idea though would be to get a manual and
convert it to the Porsche auto.

Now the question is who's capable of accomplishing this. We
need someone who knows both the Delorean and Porsche
inside and out.

Jeremy

> what "modern" car would use a rear mounted engine/tranny?
porshe?

> Porsche 911 transmissions are reported to fit pretty well.
Although I
> have not personally seen one installed in a D, the 911
gearboxes are
> pretty compact, turn the right direction and (on some models)
incredibly
> strong. And Kennedy Engineering can make an adapter for
them.