Re: exhaust leaks?

The best and safest way I have found over the years when working on
exhaust systems is to always remove the parts with an acetalyne torch.
Heat the nut or bolt up to light cherry red, let cool back to gray
and they screw right out. The only times I have broken bolts is when I
try to use sprays or do it cold. The biggest problems with heat is to
avoid damaging surrounding parts, safety and the occasional time the
stud comes out with the threads (usually in aluminum) but it probably
would have broken off anyway and it's easy to retap with an insert. A
torch is not for use by the faint-of-heart so if you aren't
experienced with it save it for the professionals. The money spent
here will save a lot of broken parts. Maybe you can make them a deal
just to take it apart and let you reassemble. On jobs like this most
shops won't flat-rate. There is no way of knowing what is involved so
they will want to do it based on time and standard labor rates. A
really good guy can probably get it apart in around 2 hours.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

http://mobile.msn.com