Re: [DML] Best Built DeLoreans

> Generally, knowing the VIN can tell you something about a DeLorean's
condition 20 years ago, but tells you nothing about its condition
ay. - Mike Substelny, this week's DML moderator]

- and -

> i heard the very first ones of the assembly line
> had door fitting problems

To substantiate the claim concerning the door fitting problems, here is a
quote from July '81 Car & Driver, "As luck would have it, the first 500 sets
of doors were pressed on sloppy prototype tooling. They simply can't be
made to fit properly, in our opinion. If we were John Z., the first 500
cars, with those doors, would be permanently banned from sale. Instead,
they'd fan out to every dealer across the land to become static displays
(with the doors UP, so fits couldn't be checked)."

While discussing a door adjustment problem with Rob Grady, he mentioned that
VINs from 500 to 1000 (the first 500 production cars) had doors that were
slightly longer front-to-back giving less room for adjustment.

So if you are shopping for a DeLorean that is to be put to any real use, I
would steer clear of these early VINs.

Walt Tampa, FL