Re: Emissions Legality.

In modifying anything related to emissions you are treading on thin
ice! Not only must you pass whatever local inspections you may be
responsible for you must also consider someday you may sell your car
and it may go to another state. Just imagine what happens when the car
won't be able to be registered by the new owner because of something
you did. Now he may have legal recourse to force the sale to be
reversed or maybe sue you for whatever it may cost to undo what you
have done. My advice is to do any mods so that they are reversible and
if you do sell the car with them in place to make sure that you have
informed the prospective buyer so that he is fully aware of all of the
implications. In some states not only do you have to pass a tailpipe
test but they also conduct a visual inspection to verify no tampering.
You never know where the car will wind up. In some states not only do
you have to go for inspections but they also have "rolling
inspections". They can pull you over for a random inspection. This
happens all the time for trucks and is not common for cars but in the
future things may get tougher and if you modified your car you may be
taking a risk. The small gains you may achieve are not worth the risk
IMHO. Many times a correctly operating car properly set up will run
better than a poorly maintained car with an inoperative emmision
system. It will warm up faster, use less gas, and in the long run be
cheaper. If you have trouble with the car and the emission systems are
disabled the first thing a mechanic would do is not try to fix the car
but to try to get the emission systems going again to rule out their
causing the problems. The Delorean has a very good engine system with
emisions better than most current model cars. Anything modifacations
you do will just make it worse, not better. The car was certified by
the EPA with ALL of the systems in place and in working order.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757