Emissions Legality.

I agree that removal of the heat stove, and air flap are detrimental
to emissions. After all, the purpose of them is to reduce hydro
carbons by way of rasing the interal combustion temp. So, since
it is part of the emissions control system, you should technicly
leave it in place. None of the Identification Labels on the car list
the Heat Stove, nor the Air Intake Flap. However, the Engine Info
label does state that the vehicle does conform to 1981 (or your
mfg year) emissions standards by the EPA. So, if the regulations
by the EPA do infact list this as a required item, then you are not
able to remove it.

BUT, things don't end here. Just because your vehicle is exempt
from emissions tesing, doen't mean that you've got a green light
to remove these items. It just simply means that there is no
clean air problems in your area, so testing is not nessisary. So if
some vehicles are not running up to a par emisssions wise,
that's fine. It does not mean that you are free to
override/modify/shut off/remove the emissions controls as you
see fit. It simply indicates that you have alot more leeway with the
efficiency of the emissions controls. This is why thins that modify
the exhaust system such as bypass valves are listed as for
off-road use only.

And lastly, if you are considering an Island Turbo Kit, you
probably can't run it legally where you live. You do of course need
to check with local regulations. You'll need to verify the differance
between is the vehicle simply exempt from emissions testing, or
is it exempt from federal EPA standards? I believe that someone
previously pointed out that once a vehicle hits 25, it is no longer
mandated by EPA standards. But this depends on your areas
local regulations (i.e. C.A.R.B.). So technicly, removal of a Heat
Stove is no differant than remove of a Catalytic Converter. It's
possible you might be able to install a modern more efficient
emissions equipment. Something that could benefit both
emissions, and performance. But you'll need to check with local
regulations on that. Here in Nevada, if you have a classic car, you
are restriced to originality, and milage. Rather than a smog test,
the resigstration must include a signed affadavit by a car
appraiser for correct milage, and orginality! So for me, that's
more of a hastle than a smog check!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"