RE: [DML] Sad DeLorean in need of good Mechanic(L.I. NY)

RE: [DML] Sad DeLorean in need of good Mechanic(L.I. NY)

As it is often stated here, Deloreans are not cheep cars to maintain.

Looking at the car in depth before you buy it, and researching (i spent over
a year and a half researching and looking before I was ready to buy) is the
best thing you can do. I spent $14k on my car, and got a GREAT deal (thanks
Doug!), but I still wound up putting $3-4K into it. I could only imagine
what it would have cost me if I DIDN'T research first! Now my car is in
AWESOME shape, and is very reliable.

I know most of that is not of any use to you now....

I too took my car to PJ Grady when I first got it, and wound up with a
bigger bill then I thought I would, but all the repairs that they did were
necessary, and would have to of been done sooner or later...if the car is
apart, make the repairs while it is exposed.
I found that once I reached my cut off $$$ amount, that PJ Grady was
understanding, and kept the repairs to a minimum, and ONLY fixed what I
approved, and was urgent/necessary.

I am shocked to hear that PJ Grady broke the key in the lock and did not
make good for it, but not knowing both sides of the story, I will not dive
into it (remain nuetral!). All I can say, is that they were very good to
me, and I have nothing bad to say, and did not have any issues.

Now....as for the other mechanics......

If you feel that they damaged your car THAT badly, you should seek legal
advice against them to see if you can hold them liable! I hope you kept all
your paperwork and can claim what was done incorrectly...if not, don't
bother.

As for recemondations:

I always call PJ Grady for parts, and info! I took my car there for most of
the major work, and plan on taking it for a yearly checkup. Living in NJ,
it is a little awkward to go there all the time and take time off work to do
it(and expensive in tolls! ;)) I went to several local Auto store, and
asked who was the best import mechanic around. Most gave me the same name.
I went there to meet the mechanic and talk to him in depth (before having
any work done). I liked his manorism, his prices, and the way he handled my
car while checking it out (covered the car to not scracth it, and was carful
putting it on the lift)

I had him do some minor work to see how it went. And i was pleased. Then
came the BIG test, I had a Transmission problem. At first glance, he told
me the whole tranny had to be replaced, but I asked him to consult the
problem with PJ Grady. He did so, and it turned out the problem was a
rare/common one. There was a relatively simple fix, and PJ Grady walked
them through it. CAR WAS FIXED FOR $340! WOW! Was I ever happy!
And....the mechanic was able to swollow his pride and listen to the experts
instead of thinking they were the end-all be-all of mechanics.

I am bowled over by this guy, and plan on using him going forward. He
stored my car inside at night, and took really good car of me, and my car.

Now that I wrote a book...

Basically, SHOP AROUND! Dont be hasty to do things. Take your time. Also,
be careful who you say things about...I know you might be upset with PJ
Grady, but later on, their help and expertise could wind up saving you a few
thousand (It saved me!)

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680
NJ Plate: BCKNTYM