Re: Storing my car for the first time

Storing a car raises a lot of personal biases. The main things are how
long and how much work to "unstore". The longer the storage period the
more you should do. Unfortunatly I have seen the results of too many
cars that were only to be stored for the winter and wind up not being
touched for 20 years. The more you can do the easier and better shape
it will come out of storage. Some of the minimum things are

Clean the car inside and out and remove anything that doesn't belong
in it.

Remove and store the battery separatly charging it regularly.

Best if stored in a heated garage but doesn't have to be heated but
make sure little critters can't get near the car to live in it.

Remove the fuel or at least most of it to get it off the fuel pump
boot and pick-up hose.

Lift the car and place on jackstands.

Treat the leather with a preservitive to keep it from drying out.

Put thick blankets on the car so if anything should fall on or against
it it shouldn't get damaged.

Make sure it is properly insured during storage.

There are many other things that can be done like changing fluids,
fogging the motor with oil, removing and storing the tires separatly,
it becomes a matter of personal issues but remember the longer it is
stored the more to do. In general if it is only put away for 6 months
or less you really don't have to do anything but the battery.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Kevin Abato" <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> It has been a great 8 months of ownership with my Delorean, but now
I want