Re: [DML] still the stupid clunk

> Here's what I've done:
> 1. checked the trailing arm bolts. Tight. Shims are 6 one side, 1 on the
> other. That seems odd, because the parts list at Houston's site lists max
5
> per side. Hmmm.

It is hard to tell from your photo, but it looks like your shims might be a
little thinner than OEM, and this could partly explain why you have so many.
It would also seem that there should always be the same number of shims on
both sides provided that the frame is straight. When I had my wheel
alignment checked by Sears on their new high-tech laser system, they
suggested that I remove one shim from the drivers side. (Currently I have 3
on the drivers side and 4 on the passenger side. I think most DeLoreans
left the factory like this.)

> 3. Check all rear body to frame bolts. Although maybe I haven't got them
> all... anyone have a list?

Remember to check the parts manual. It has a great diagram of this.

> While I was under the car this morning checking all that AGAIN... I
grabbed
> the right axle and slid it side to side. It makes a loud clunk
sound --just
> like the one I hear when turning-- as it travels as far as it can to the
> outside. Is it supposed to do that?

My car does the same thing. I saw somewhere on the DML that there is a ring
that can be screwed in further to tighten this up. I'd like to learn more
before I experiment with it.

> I've pulled the CV boot back and tried to see if it needed extra grease,
but
> I can't tell. I might try to use the grease-gun-needle and squirt some
more
> grease behind it, if anyone thinks that might help.

Since my CV boots are original, I'm worried about them cracking with age
(although they look great.) Every time I get under the car, I hose the CV
boots down with a generous amount of Armor-all.

Walt Tampa, FL