Re: [DML] Winter Deloreans?

In a message dated Thu, 25 Oct 2001 7:30:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, P12C16@xxxx writes:

> Im trying to convince my dad the the DMC Houston refurb Delorean is the car
> for him, but he asked my how they drove on icy ground? Its a good point as
> they are kind of lightweight compared to other cars.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Patrick,

i had a post a couple weeks ago about this but i will repeat it. in my own experience, the DeLorean is the most dangerous car i have ever driven on ice! in a very low traction condition you will definitely notice that rear-weight bias. after twice almost killing myself and totalling my precious car, i have vowed to never take my car out when the temperature is below zero F again. EVER!

the first time it happened, i only had my DeLorean for a week. the temperature went down and rain turned into freezing rain. i switched lanes and before i knew it, my back end was turning to the right and i was going sideways at 45 mph for about 200 feet! i quickly hit dry pavement and gained my traction back. i went 15 mph the rest of the way home with my hazards on because i was so freaked out.

the second time, it was a bright spring day with almost all of the snow melted (i had taken the car out of storage for a car show that weekend) and i was going down a sort of rural 2 lane between two shelterbelts. well the shelterbelts tend to keep ice from melting too quickly and i hit a patch of ice but didn't lose ground. i slowly tapped the brakes a couple of times to lower my speed, then i downshifted carefully - but the slight change in velocity when i dropped it into the next gear was enough to send my back fishtailing and sliding to the right again, this time i did a 180 and went sideways into the snow on the side of the road and i had to get a tow truck to pull me back onto the pavement. this time i was only going about 25 mph when it happened.

now i'm not stupid and i'm not a bad driver. but the DeLorean has a tendency to whip doughnuts if you hit any ice and touch the steering wheel, gearbox, or brakes. i'm thinking most owners don't know about this because hardly any owners drive their cars in the winter - they put 'em in storage,which is what i do now.

i would strongly suggest against driving a DeLorean in the winter due to my own experiences. your life is more important than driving your toy year-round!!

just my 2 cents.
Andy