Re: [DML] update on speedo noise (finally solved)

Re: [DML] update on speedo noise (finally solved)

Well, I found and licked my speedo noise problem.
It seems that my problem was identical to Walt's-- the cable from the angle
drive was too long. It was jammed into the plastic cap so tight that it took
a claw hammer to break it free. Fortunately, it didn't break during all
that. I was sweating a little there about that.
When I replaced my broken lower cable I pulled on the plastic cap wanting to
oil that end but gave up too soon. What I succeeded in doing was loosening
it enough to allow the cable to bend and make the awful noise.
So... I cut the end off the plastic cap's nipple with a razor-- even kept
the hole square. Now the cable can stick out-- about a quarter of an inch,
and the cap fits snug. No Noise!
I was a little worried about break dust and road grime working back through
that opening so I squirted a little black silicone around the cable end and
then wiped off the excess. Afterall, I don't want to permanently glue it in
place!
With Dave Swingle's help I've got a pic loaded into the Photos section of
our website at groups.yahoo.com, so head over and take a look.
I took the holiday morning off and took my beautiful wife cruising for a
while. That's a good thing!
The weather has cooled down, and I can turn the AC off finally and really
enjoy the ride. I love this car!

Kevin
#4687, Houston