update on speedo noise

I've been trying to narrow down the source of my speedo noise. To recap, the
speedo works great, is accurate, but it there is a clicking noise, at least
up to 45mph. At a slight roll it's a very loud clack, but is only every few
seconds. At 40mph is isn't always noticeable, and there is just a slight
shiver to needle.

I removed the new lower speedo cable, pulled the actual cable out and lubed
the sheath. I also zip-tied the cable to the new arm instead of snaking it
through because the snake-through method gave it a little bit of a S-shape.
Still noisy.
So I disconnected the lower cable from the lambda counter box. Seemed quiet.
But, I'm not sure I would hear noise from the angle drive through an open
cable.
So I reconnected the lower cable and disconnected the upper cable from the
counter box and it was noisy again.

Anyone on the list had a counter box go bad? What would be the symptoms of a
failing counter box? Is it serviceable before it completely fails?

I guess the next step is to jack it back up and check the dust cap and angle
drive.

Any pointers?

---------
I read this somewhere:
"most experts agree that the end of the world will come by accident, most
likely. That's where we come in; we're Computer Experts, we make accidents."