Re: re no rough idle

To check for vacuum leaks first do a complete visual inspection of all
of the hoses. This may require removal of some to examine properly.
You can use a vacuum tester on each one and pull a vacuum and watch
how long it takes to bleed off. You could plug hoses and see if that
improves the idle. The point is there is no one way to do this. If you
suspect a vacuum leak you must be very methodical and check everything
but first look for the obvious like a hose fell from in front of the
motor by the firewall. On an automatic don't forget to check the line
to the modulater! A noisy mode switch can be a major vacuum leak. Also
make sure that the idle motor is controlling the idle, you can test
this by pulling off the plug to the idle motor. If this doesn't affect
the idle then it isn't controlling it. All three of the large brass
adjusting screws on the air inlet manifold should be LIGHTLY seated
closed and the idle micro switch should be working so that at idle it
clicks. If the cold start valve was running continously you would be
flooding the motor so I don't think the problem is there. Pull the
plug on it if you want to convince yourself.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757