Re: [DML] Delorean Engine Upgrades... lets think for a minute

Re: [DML] Delorean Engine Upgrades... lets think for a minute

Dick

I agree with you on the useable boost numbers. I have found however that I
needed water injection to avoid fuel problems. I can get away with the
middle blend for aggressive driving and regular for normal driving with the
water injection. Without water injection I am committed to premium and
infact still run premium on really hot days if I am going to push it hard.
I run about 11 lbs. on my single turbo and in fact even eliminated the waste
gate. The system seems to be plumbing restricted to that pressure. It
seems to me that the intake manifold temperature has a significant effect on
the intake charge as the engine runs much stronger when it is still cool.
As a sanity check I installed thermocouples on the intake manifold and also
in the internal air stream. The water injection provided cooling effects
that better approximated cool run conditions in the intake charge. I inject
the water right onto the compressor impeller so as to get maximum
atomization and therefore charge densification and turn it on based on
throttle position. I tried a pressure switch but found that I did not get
water flowing until it was almost too late to do any good. The throttle
position gave it a head start to provide cooling before boost built up. I'm
sure there are significant benefits in water injection as well in reducing
peak combustion temperatures as the water droplets convert to steam. Do
you or anyone else have any experience with this set up?

Donald L. Ekhoff