Re: Delorean Engine Upgrades... lets think for a minute

Re: Delorean Engine Upgrades... lets think for a minute

While the engine is capable of turbo charging, the Legend set up
involves alot more then just straping a couple of turbo chargers on.
When Legend Industired devised turbo packages for the DeLorean, they
also performed mechanical modifications to the engine(s) itself. VIN
502 is the most widely known test car. There currently are 2 major
turbo kits available for the DeLorean. A single BAE turbo, and the
Island Twin whice uses the same IHI units that Legend did (someone
correct me on this if I am wrong). No one has really overlooked the
turbo options so much as they have decided against them. While I
myself admitedly have never driven a DeLorean with a turbo charger
installed, I have opted not to install any turbos onto my car. While
price is a consideration, the fact remains that every turbo setup I've
ever seen created for the D looks awful. The single charger looks home
made, and the twin turbo clutters up the engine bay with all the
excessive plumbing.

The best turbo setup for the D would still have to be what Legend
Industries had. But rather then rely on the IHI turbos alone, it would
greatly help to reduce the amount of plubing used. Instead of the
Island design of placing 2 pipes behind the engine, use the Legend
design of placing only one. Here a fresh air intake could be connected
from the turbo unit to the scope intanks behind the quarter glass.
Keep the design of the "V" shaped airbox with twin intercoolers to
help reduce lag for the air intake. Combined with inline cone air
filers and electric fans mounted to the intercoolers with intake hoses
to collect air from above the deflector plates around the trailing
arms. If someone had this type of a turbo setup for the DeLorean, I
would definately consider it.

But price wise the best choice has been either an engine swap, or an
improved engine such as DMC houston offers. Especially where
originality and reliability is concerned.

-Robert
vin 6585