Bosch Service Index-Andy in Fargo

Below is a link to the Bosch Service Center index.

http://www.boschservice.com/index.html

I used one of the service centers to fine tune my fuel injection system
before I drove from Mobile to Los Angeles a few years ago. The service tech
had all of the correct instruments and gauges. I only needed to show him
where the ECU, Accumulator and filter was located.

If I lived close to one of the DMC service centers I would have had them
adjust the F.I. Living in a remote location, such as Mobile or Fargo, I
have had to learn about the car and its various systems so I could perform
the service work myself. Also, I have found that the DMC vendors are always
helpful in diagnosing the problems. As one of the list members suggested
earlier, BBQ the elephant one piece at a time, repair one problem at a time
and you will not end up overwhelmed.

Another cause for rough running is water in the spark plug wells. Make sure
that the wells are clean and dry. The plug wires are supposed to have boots
on them to seal around the plug wells. Put a little tune up grease on the
boots before installation. It will seal better and make it easier to remove
later on.

Make sure that the hole in the intake manifold, to access the adjustment
screw, is plugged. It is located right next to the fuel distributor at the
6 o'clock position (towards the rear of the car). Sometimes a threaded plug
is used or a rubber plug with a wire handle. This could be a source of a
vacuum leak that is over looked by many.

If your interior lights will not turn off when you close the door, make sure
that the door switches are being fully depressed when the door is closed.
There should be a rubber tip or a short piece of hose fitted over the end of
the switch so the door will fully depress it when closed. Also, be sure
that the light are rocked to the position that is controlled by the door
switch.

Find and clean/tighten all of the grounds in the system. They are listed in
the service manuals. All kinds of problems in the electrical system can be
caused by weak ground connections. Pull each fuse and relay one at a time
to make sure you have good clean tight connections. Check the tail light
boards and make sure that the connectors are clean and tight. The tail
light boards are notorious for intermittent failure. There are new tail
light boards out there for sale or you can clean and tighten the
connections.

When my car was recommissioned after ten years of storage, I disconnected
every electrical connection I could find and cleaned them. Do them one at a
time so you do not mix them up.

The marble sound from the left front wheel may be the wheel bearings.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031