Re: [DML] Delorean Engine Upgrades... lets think for a minute

Re: [DML] Delorean Engine Upgrades... lets think for a minute

Marc

I agree with your comments that the Legend set-up was more than the simple addition
of a couple of turbos. However, I disagree with your comments about 6 lbs of boost
being all the engine can take.

I know of one D that has run 10.5 lbs for several years. I personally ran 7.5 lbs.
for years. Remember, the vendor wants to be sure he/she is not in any way liable
for engine destruction if one puts too much boost into the engine without proper
strengthening modifications. Suggesting 6lbs.is a safe number for moderately
increased performance without affecting engine life.

This is a strong engine. It should be able to take up to 1 bar of boost without
MAJOR modifications. There are forged pistons available. There are "total seal"
rings available (even forged for high performance applications). With those two
internal modifications and with less restrictive exhaust and intake systems, the
engine can produce enough hp to be quite a machine. However, then we must look to
the transmission, clutch and other things.

Also, I keep hearing about 170 hp by "simply reworking the exhaust", but I still
have my doubts. I believer that there was also some tweaking of the fuel delivery
system when that hp was acheived.

Having owned two D's with twin turbos, I've aften been tempted to play further with
the set-up, but $$$ alwasysseem to creep into the discussion. I'm not an expert,
but I have looked at various possibilites and I am convinced that one can exceed
200hp RELATIVELY easily (though not inexpensively) and that the guts of the engine
can take it.

My 2¢

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867