Re: Turn Signal/hazard lights

On cars that I see that are blowing bulbs one of the first things to
check is the alternater and regulater (most of the time all in the
same unit). If the alternater is putting out too high a voltage it can
damage everything. Other causes include;
loose connections to the battery
bad ground connections
bad battery (the battery is like a big sink that holds the voltage
down, without the battery in the circuit the voltage can exceed 100
volts!)
All of this sometimes occurs after getting the car jumped. You have a
bad battery so it goes dead so you jump it and the surge blows the
regulater in the alternater and or some of the rectifier diodes and
now you impress an AC voltage on the DC with the resulting RMS
equivelent being much more than 12 volts and you can't see it when you
look with a DC voltmeter because of the AC component. If you suspect
the alternater then it needs to be tested by someone with an alterater
tester or take it to an auto electrical shop to bench test.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "W.D.SEARLS, JR." <Buckeye99@xxxx> wrote:
> Here a few days ago my right turn signal light went out. I decided
to got
> to the local parts store to pick up the idnetical bulb for the turn
signal.
> I bought two so I could replace both lights at the same time. I
switched
> them out last night. All went well until this morning when I drove
the