Re: [DML] Gas problems

Mike,

As a fellow owner of an early DeLorean (not quite as early as yours) I can
assure you that a few simple updates can repair all those quirks that make your
DeLorean as relaible as any other. There are several good tail light fixes.
This one is cheap; and 100% effective:

http://www.dmcnews.com/backissues/dml007.html

As to your leak, follow Duke's advice and check out the top of the fuel tank,
accessable beneath the spare tire. All the potential sources for this type of
leak are there.

It is possible that you have two related problems. The original fuel gage
senders were terrible, and almost impossible to repair. I have seen people
attempt to repair them, with nuts and bolts and soldering irons. Not only does
this seldom work, it can cause a leak in the top of the sender unit.

Thus the previous owner may have inadvertantly created a fuel leak. This would
explain why he warned you not to fill the tank.

The leak could also come from the fuel pump or the filler tube. You may only
need to tighten the clamp around the pump. If you want to find and fix the
leak, follow Duke's instructions.

If you ever want to know what your correct fuel level is, I recommend that you
do not even try to salvage the worthless sender unit that came with your car.
Get yourself a Tankzilla. They are reliable and idiot proof. Once you remove
the panel below your spare tire, anyone can install a Tankzilla in five minutes.

If you want your doors to close properly get yourself the right set of door
guides from a DeLorean parts supplier. Early DeLoreans did not have them, but a
set should be avaliable that fits your car. They work wonders!

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 8 years