Lift it up question

Going under the front end for the first time, I understand the 2x4,
floor jack, theory, my question is when I get it up in the air can I use
the little ramps you get at car parts stores to slip under the wheels?
I like them better than jack stands, they give more vertical clearance,
the stands are not in the way, and I think they're safer. I ask first
because they're loaned out and I don't want to chase them if the idea
doesn't work...does it? Do the exhaust tips hit the ground if you raise
it that high?

Thanks, Les