Re: [DML] Noisy fuel pump

The noise problem I have seems to be strictly fuel temperature related. It
sounds like this is a common problem.

There is a remote chance that maybe most of our problem is from a suction
hose going soft and collapsing. One way to find out: Has anyone replaced
their suction hose with the newly manufactured part from a legit DeLorean
vendor AND still had the temperature related noise afterwards?

My suction hose appears to be the original. It has a little soft spot where
it sat too long in a mostly empty tank (I think). Maybe if these original
hoses get too hot, then they get soft and collapse to some degree making the
fuel pump noisy.

Granted, some fuel pumps are noisy from the get-go, and that may be due to a
different cause.

I suppose that my next test will be to wait until I get the noise again,
turn the engine off, hot wire the RPM relay while I carefully take the fuel
pump out and check the hose while the pump is running. (Ka-boom!)

Chances are the problem is just that the Bosch fuel pumps like to make noise
when they are hot.

I still have the bulk head cover off just for luck (and because I am lazy).
That contributes to some of the volume of the noise, but not much. I know
if I put them back on, then I will need to take them right off again. I
usually leave the covers off of my PCs for the same reason. Besides, those
darn rivnuts are either stripped out or spin in the fiberglass. I hate
those things! I'm thinking about replacing all of them with custom nuts
made from stainless steel blanks. Each blank would have 'wings' on it with
threaded screw holes in the wing tips. These would be attached under the
fiberglass with counter-sunk pan head machine screws in the fiberglass.
Then probably followed up with a dab of RTV. In the center would be the
replacement threaded hole for the rivenut which would line up with the
original hole in the fiberglass. Does anyone like this idea?

Walt Tampa, FL