Re: [DML] RE: 3.0 Eagle motors

In a message dated 2/27/01 8:30:07 AM Central Standard Time,
darryl@xxxx writes:

<< As for the DMC heads not fitting on the Eagle
block, I can't answer that. John Lane at Pacific Rim thought they would, so
we'll have to wait and see how he accomplishes that. I do know he said he
would be using the even fire cams and alloy rockers in the DMC heads. I'll
keep everyone posted. >>

Darryl,
John is correct, the DMC heads WILL bolt to the Eagle block, as long as
you use Eagle head gaskets. By using the D heads, John will also be able to
use the entire K-Jet intake system from the D, which should make the hook up
of the fuel system pretty straight forward. And since the K-Jet is a constant
injection system, it should work equally well with either the even fire or
odd fire setup. You are also correct that if he stays with the even fire
crankshaft in the Eagle block, he needs to use the even fire cams and valve
train also, which again will fit in the D heads. This will also require that
he run the Eagle even fire ignition distributor off the front of the motor
and plug the hole in the back of the D head for the D distributor, which
should not be a problem. Matter of fact, having the distributor mounted on
the front of the right head will make it much easier to work with, and it
sounds like John's already got the fix for using the E ignition system with
the Delorean electric's from some of his prior projects.
I don't know what he's going to do about the compression ratio of his new
motor. The D heads have smaller chambers then the E heads. My calculations
show a stock D head on a stock E block will produce a compression ratio of
about 9.9 to 1, which isn't too bad. This increase in compression should bump
the engine output about another 10 HP. Testing has shown the stock Delorean
K-Jet fuel system has sufficient volume to handle up to about 200 HP, so all
in all, I'd say John is working on one of the most "user friendly" PRV
swaps/upgrades that can be done. I'm not trying to imply this is an "easy"
project to do, but it is a combination that makes a lot of sense to me.
I think John has maybe come up with a very workable combination, and I
congratulate him on it. Darryl, please keep us up to date as things progress.

Marty