Re: Auto trans gov. problems...

Shifting in the Delorean once underway in drive 3 is entirely
controlled by the govenor computer assembly. If you do indeed have a
shifting problem then that is where to go. There are some simple
things to check first though. Fluid level and condition. Shift linkage
adjustments. Throttle cable adjustments. The integerity of the wiring
to and the downshift microswitch (if the wiring is burnt and grounds
out it will force downshifts). Bad connections to the large plug on
the firewall. Make sure that what you feeling is downshifts and not
slipping, check the line pressure. If all of these things check out
then you could have a bad shift computer. Installing the lights will
only confirm that the shift computer is indeed shifting the trans and
you already know that what you want to find out is why. A bad shift
computer will tend to act up more when heated, sounds like bad solder
joints and can be easily resoldered. Refer to the archives.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757