Re: Stainless Steel Frame

The creator of the SS frame, Bryan Pearce, is still on the list. He
may join in here, but is pretty busy with real life.

To date, there has been exactly one of the frames manufactured, the
one on Bryan's car. He has now driven it as his only car for several
years and tens of thousands of miles. The car is a year-around daily
driver on the salty winter roads here in Chicago, and the frame looks
exactly as the day it was built. It's not especially pretty, he did
not polish it up to a mirror finish. It just looks like industrial
bare stainless steel. No sign of cracking or deterioration.

As far as restoring a car with a rusted frame, you'll see all kinds,
but in general if the frame has rusted badly enough to warrant
replacement, you'll need many of the parts that are attached to the
frame as well. I've seen a few, and the fuel fittings, brake
fittings, small brackets, and even the trailing arms may be junk. And
you are correct, in most cases any car that sat around long enough to
rust like this was outdoors, and all of the topside stuff (interior,
rubber seals, dash etc) is garbage too.

Nick (NJP548) may want to pipe in her too. He is doing that same job
(to a standard frame) and can vouch for the degree of difficulty (not
too bad) and amount of small-parts changing you'll have to do (lots).

If you are planning on paying someone to do all this ahead of
shipping to the UK, you'd better have a very full checkbook.

This sort of thing is impossible to estimate on a "ferinstance"
basis, it is tremendously variable based on the condition of the car
you start with.

Honestly, if I had my heart set on investing in the SS frame, I'd
probably start with the best car I could and sell off the (good) old
frame to someone else. I would not want to put this kind of
investment in a marginal car. It would probably be cheaper in the
long run and you'd end up with a much nicer car. If this sounds like
the $20K speech+frame, it probably is. But you'd have the closest
thing to a bulletproof lifetime DMC that you could.

Dave Swingle