Re: Towing v. Driving

In a message dated 1/14/01 6:28:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
smeghead79@xxxx writes:

<< Hmm. Now I am pondering transport for the vehicle. I'd hate to do that
if the car runs, though ... >>

When I was looking into buying a D several states over, it was suggested to
me by DML list members that I'd be better off trailering it here. I was
reluctant to do that due to cost, since the car was declared driveable by the
owner. As it turns out, I bought a car about an hour from here and the
former owner drove it over to deliver it. What a kick to look out the window
at work and see my new DeLorean parked across the street! Wow!

Anyway, I've since heard some horror stories about new owners who got on the
road only to have a key part conk out. One guy bought an automatic with a
failing governor and by the time he got home, it needed a new tranny. :(
Might have been running ok when he statrted, but a long trip can cause
problems to surface, especially if the evidence is ignored by an excited new
driver who just wants to get home, and figures he'll look into that odd noise
later. Fuel tank neglect, a common condition, can lead to clogged
injectors, which in itself could cost as much as a trailer rental. Bottom
line: you're buying an 18 or 19 year old car that's very unfamiliar to you.
Trailer it home where you can have it checked mechanically by a competent
mechanic, and get used to how it drives in smaller doses. You can't go wrong
that way.

-Wayne
vin 11174
Still living the dream!