Water In the Fuel Tank?

Hi All

My car had been playing up a bit after sitting for about a month without
use, anyway it eventually just spluttered and had no power. I was looking
into cleaning the fuel tank as it sounded like fuel starvation, whenever I
pressed the accelerator the car stalled. I found to my horror that the fuel
had water in it, I siphoned the fuel out and it had about a 3 pints of water
in it!, needless to say this was obviously a major contributor to the
problem. But my main question is how the hell did it get in there ??? would
it have gone down the filler cap?, has anyone else had a similar problem?
obviously I will check all of the seals before I install the tank again. Any
ideas would be most appreciate, as obviously I don't want it to happen
again, it was a good job I ran the car or the engine may have corroded and
seized!

Regards

James RG
England