Attn: Walt in Tampa, FL (14Jan2001)

Hi Walt,
Thanks for the advice on the exhaust manifold gasket. I have since
talked to the seller and he admits that "it runs but sounds like a
Volkswagen." As I once rode in a VW Bus I have some familiarity with the
sound ... well, perhaps I can turn the radio up. ;)
I DO know a professional mechanic, who lives in Jacksonville, FL and
may not have the time to come with me and inspect the car and drive back
with me. He has restored two DeLoreans (one was completely undriveable
-- apparently had been gutted for parts [hoses, harnesses, etc] and he
grudgingly installed, at the owner's request, a GMC 350 in it, even
though the guy who bought it had it towed to his garage and never drove
it with the current engine) and therefore is my greatest source of
information about this car. Well, until I found this list. This list
has already been very helpful (I'm halfway through the back issues on
the website) and I imagine it will continue to be handy. My guess is I
will have less contact with my mechanic friend as my sister has recently
divorced him. *chuckle*
At any rate, I have several "mechanically inclined" friends who would
be glad of the journey.
I have already downloaded and printed out the entire service manual and
the technical bulletin from the website. (Glad I have a duplex-enabled
Laserjet at work and not too many people there on Saturday!) HOWEVER, I
would like to know if there is any way to get a copy of the OTHER
service bulletins ... The one about the leaks will serve me well, this
being New Orleans which is rather wet usually, and I'm sure the others
have pertinent information which may or may not have been done on this
vehicle. The VIN is under 1000 so I imagine there are many needed
"updates" ... unless they were already done by the previous owner (I
have asked the current owner to check for these updates).
And Thank You, THANK YOU for the list of "extras" to bring with me. I
figured I would bring some tools, but I tend to have better hindsight
than foresight. I might even keep track of any Radio Shacks I pass on
the way home. ;)
The last time I saw a DeLorean, I was much younger and less interested
(perhaps I should give away my youth at this point - I'm barely 22) so I
didn't bother to check if I could see most of what I needed to see
underneath the car without jacking it up. Should I bring jacks along to
inspect the frame? I understand the service hatch in the trunk can be
used to check the brake cylinders, etc. but not sure what else can be
seen. Perhaps I'll learn more as I read the most recent two years of
the list. :)
Enough verbosity for one Sunday afternoon; just wanted to say Thanks!
Now, I'm trying to find out about insuring the thing. To quote Sam
Beckett ... "Oh boy."
Thanks again, Walt, and thanks in advance to you other kind folks who
continue to Live The Dream. :) "May the wind be at our backs."

- Farrar Hudkins