           From: "jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx " <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Jim Varney's "D"
           From: "Gabe" <thecreech@xxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 04:01:47 -0000
   From: "jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx " <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hello!  And:  Upcoming purchase ...

I agree with most everything that Walter says except it is probably
better to just plan to tow the car. If it is a 5 speed then towing on
a dolly is no big deal. An automatic is a much bigger problem, it
either has to be on a trailer or tilt-bed or if you still want to use
a tow dolly it must be backed on to keep the rear wheels off the
ground unless you remove the half-shafts to the rear wheels. If you
do
tow on a dolly backwards remove the rear louvre or it will rip off
from the wind resistance. On the exhaust gasket don't even think of
trying it till you get home. While you may have some success with
penetrating oil I find that to work on any exhaust parts they always
come off without breaking if you heat up the part with a torch. I
hardly ever break anything although sometimes threads do strip and
you
must use EXTREME caution around fuel lines, wiring, plastic,
fiberglass and such and should also have a fire watch because with
the
welding glasses on you can't see flames. It would be best if you can
hook up with local owners so the can help you.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> I wish you luck with your coming purchase.  I bought my Delorean in
> similar situation.  I live in Tampa and found a nice Delorean for
sale in
> Ft. Pierce (just north of Ft. Lauderdale on the east coast).  I
drove over
> with a friend to check it out.  I bought it from a dealer who only
owned it
> for a short time and would/could not tell me anything about the
previous
> owner.  The car had less than 9K miles on it.  It was very clean
and
had no
> weather related deterioration.  I bought the car (for $17.5K) and
took turns
> with my friend driving it home a few hundred miles away.
>
> In city traffic it overheated, but not bad.  I was watching the
gauge most
> of the time.  It turns out that the electrical system in the car
had
never
> been upgraded, and it had a bad relay.  This was the night before
the drive
> home.  With nothing but a volt meter I bought at Radio Shack for
this
> purpose, I found the problem and hot-wired the fans to always stay
on.  The
> rest of the trip home was uneventful except for the fun!
>
> If you have very far to drive with your new Delorean, I recommend
having a
> driver who can deliver you to pick it up and then follow you home.
I would
> plan on the other car being an SUV that can tow a car dolly if
necessary.  I
> would bring a full complement of tools and an extra battery &
jumper
cables
> as well as some jugs of water in case the cooling system leaks.
>
> If this car is not a daily driver, then expect little things to
keep
going
> wrong with it until it does become a daily driver.  The Delorean is
full of
> factory weak spots and defects as well as more problems that will
come about
> because of the car's age.  Generally, problems like this are not
fixed until
> AFTER they become a problem.  So unless these things have already
broke and
> been repaired on your car, then chances are they are getting ready
to break.
> Since the car you are buying already as 40K miles, most of OEM
problems
> should be resolved by now.  When I bought my car, I had no idea
what
I was
--
but
> knock on stainless).  I have put 4400 miles on it in the past 11
months
> since I bought it.  I would have done more than double that if I
could keep
> it running well enough.  If I spent half the time working on the
car
that I
> spent on reading DML backissues and Delorean related web sites then
I would
> have a full restoration done by now!  But I need the knowledge
first.  It's
> strange how this knowledge is mostly only available on line or by
word of
> mouth from a vendor.
>
> Also some more advice:  Have the service manuals with you.  If a
set
doesn't
> come with the car, then buy some from your favorite vendor.  And
keep their
> phone numbers handy on your trip home.  I would establish contact
with some
> of the better vendors and make an appointment with them to be on
call while
> you are on the road.  (Fat chance, but worth a try.)  I suggest
considering
> DMC Joe and Rob at PJ Grady.  DMC Houston may be of help too.
Delorean One
> is almost always too busy. ;)
>
> I recommend saving the exhaust manifold gasket replacement for
until
after
> you get the car home.  The main problem with a bad gasket is the
loud
> tap-tap-tap noise it makes.  I don't think this is anything real
bad
except
> it is annoying to listen to.  It may also allow exhaust gases to
linger
> where they don't belong.  To take the manifold loose, you need to
soak the
> studs with a penetrating solvent for a few days to help stop them
from
> breaking off.  You might break some anyway and then you will have
drill
> them out -- fun, fun -- not something you want to try with a car
before you
> take it home for the first time.
>
> Gook luck,
> Walt    Tampa, FL