Re: [DML] Escaping from a DeLorean

> Opening the doors under water? that's a good question, it may be a
> little easier than a conventional car door since you are assisted by
> a torsion bar and the struts. But one never knows.

The following explanations are based on different TV reports, but also on my
own knowledge about diving...

One thing is true for nearly ALL cars:
while underwater AND water flowing into the cabin, there is NO change of
opening the door, because the pressure inside the car is lower than the
water pressure around. But there are still 4 options:

while the car is floating on the water:
1) a car does not sink instantly, so there is a chance of opening a door,
while the car is still floating on the water.

2) if that does not work, kick out either the front window or a side window
(using life hammer etc.) and get out while the car still floats on the water

when underwater:
3) Open your seatbelt. Smash either the front window or a side window (life
hammer), then WAIT a moment, until water has completely filled the car, then
dive out. You might have to kick out remaining glass fragments before diving
out.

4) If you don't succed smashing a window, don't panic, as soon as the water
has completely filled the cabin, you can open the doors, because now, the
pressure inside and outside is equal. Only problem: you will have to hold
your breath for some seconds. Everyone can hold his breath for at least 30
seconds - if you don't panic! Even if you have never done it before - its
more than enough time to leave the car and dive to the surface.
But remember rule No.1: DON'T PANIC. If you use your brain and stay cool,
you will escape without a problem.

Ralf.
VIN 10284
(Yes, I dive occasionally... )