Re: One More thought on the D's doors

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "jtrealty@xxxx " <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> I can think of one possible improvement, a temperature
compensating
> strut, they have them for other applications and shock
absorbers so I
> am sure they could improve the strut to include this.HOW
ABOUT IT
> JAMES? Also a nice sticker to place on the torsion bar warning
about
> the danger and not to scratch it.

I have another thought which I'm surprised hasn't been brought
up already. Many modern strut systems have some kind of a
built in brake, which slows the decomression rate of the stut
when it is nearing it's fully expanded state. I dont see why it
wouldn't be possible for our door struts to have these on them.
This would prevent any "bounce" from the door opening too
quickly. I know a proporly adjusted torsion bar will not allow any
bounce, however what if the car is parked sideways on a hill? My
car does that in my driveway, and it causes my drivers door to
bounce like mad if I dont catch it. I think these might be a better
idea than temperature-compensating struts, but thats just my
opinion. Nonetheless, I like your thinking Dave, and the warning
sticker would be a good thing to have. What about a rubber boot
that wraps around the torsion bar? Then put the sticker on top of
that. But it is all just more and more ideas.

Jim Reeve
-6960