Re: Hydraulic Doors on DeLorean?

I suspect you are correct about the added weight but I also believe
age and "spring set" has something to do with it. A quick check for
the need for a torsion bar adjustment, prop the door open and remove
the strut. Lower the door, it should remain open approx 2-5 inches
measured lip of door to sill. As far as improving on the door system I
think if you have a PROPERLY adjusted door, door guides, a recent
strut and a lockzilla you will have a hard time improving on the
system. The Bricklins with the hydralic doors were mostly refitted to
the pnuematic system which includes new front and rear bumpers(the air
tanks are inside them). The air was supplied by a compressor running
off engine vacum. If the car sat too long and lost air pressure the
doors wouldn't open. The fittings and valving are "Mickey Mouse" to be
kind and have many sources of leaks. The torsion bar on the Deloreans
doesn't loose any power by "sitting" for extended periods of time.
IMHO the torsion bar system is very elegant from an engineering point
of view being simple, well balanced and innovative like the front
suspensions of the 60's-70's Chryslers. It is also very compact and
unobtrusive. The only downside I can think of is the inherent danger
of the great amount of energy in the system. Without proper
precautions and tools there is a danger to anyone not familiar with
the torsion bars to hurt themselves. NEVER SCRATCH THE SURFACE OF THE
TORSION BARS and only work on them if you have the correct tools and
have seen the procedures done.
I can think of one possible improvement, a temperature compensating
strut, they have them for other applications and shock absorbers so I
am sure they could improve the strut to include this.HOW ABOUT IT
JAMES? Also a nice sticker to place on the torsion bar warning about
the danger and not to scratch it.

David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

n dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Substelny <msubstel@xxxx> wrote:
> I agree that the DeLorean door design is excellent as it is.
Hydraulics or
> pneumatics would not be an improvement.
>
> Often DeLoreans with chronic drooping doors need a torsion bar
adjustment.

> Remember, many cars have had door guides, stronger window actuators,
beefier lock
> solenoids, and other parts added to their doors since they left the
factory.
> These added weight, and without a torsion bar adjustment it will
automatically
> cause the doors to droop. My personal suspicion is that many
DeLoreans have had