Re: Extra Horsepower

Willie,
There are no off the shelf header pipes that will fit the Delorean
only because the way the engine is placed. They only way to get
header pipes to fit in there is to have them custom made (also mount
them in reverse so the output of the headers are facing the rear of
the car). You'll also have to eliminate the one muffler and have two
separate ones along with two separate cats. Borla used to make a
universal fit muffler that fit nicely at the ends of the pipes (just
before the tips) but from what I hear is that they do not make that
size anymore. Their dies for it wore out and since it wasn't a
popular size the axed the idea of making a new die. The only way to
go (and expensive) is to get a whole new exhaust system custom made.
That is the only way you'll get better "Exhaust modification"
performance. One thing you will want to be careful of if you do get a
custom made one is to make sure who ever is doing it does not route
the pipes to close to the alternator. This can cost you up too $5,000
to do...about the same price as getting one of DMC Houston's modified
performance engine. Only bad thing about that is you can't buy the
performance parts from them and do the work yourself (or your
favorite local mechanic), you have to ship the engine to them or buy
a whole new crated modified engine (more expensive).

On the subject of the performance engine....why is it that I or
anyone else couldn't just buy the performance parts from DMC Houston
and perform the upgrades ourselves? I mean the cost of shipping the
engine to Houston, getting the upgrade performed then getting it
shipped back....I could buy another Delorean! Maybe I'll get one of
my pro race car building frinds to help me blue print the D engine
(when/if he has time :( ) and have my local machine shop custom
make/modify the parts I would need.