Re: [DML] Re: ABS Brakes Vs. Air bags.

David,

It was funny you should mention air bags for the D. We seriously
investigated doing this to the 97 D. However, we wanted to use the safer
dual pressure air bags from the 74-76 full size GM cars. We managed to get
2 complete air bag set ups drive and passenger.

However, the Ds air bag design ( there were 2 car built and tested for
DOT) have the passenger air bag coming from on top of the dash, just like
todays cars. This is an unsafe design in my opinion, though considerably
cheaper and smaller than the dual pressure systems.

Some car manufactures are now going back to the dual pressure design
because it is safer.

We have been toying with the idea of building another 97 Delorean with out
the time machine stuff because the V-8 4 speed auto with real windows is so
much fun to drive. We would put at least a driver air bag in this car.

If dual pressure upper air bags are available in the future we would choose
that system.

Bob