Re: [DML] Re: Powder coated wheels "Gassing Out"

Re: [DML] Re: Powder coated wheels "Gassing Out"

With all the talk about powdercoating I thought I would share my experience
with Chrome Plating of DeLorean rims.

My first attempt was with polish and paint only. This looked really great
but was a hassle. These wheels are on my daily driver and polishing them is
the one job I hate. The polish gets onto the black paint that is between
the spokes. By the way, the polished parts are the outer bead, the radial
spokes and the inner hub area. I paint the little section in the middle of
the spoke. There is some porosity in the castings and it varies by vintage.
These rims cost me ~$600.00 to polish and paint and they said they went thru
a fortune in buffing wheels. I guess all the spoke edges cut the buffing
wheels to shreds.

My next three experiences were with CICC Company in Pomona, Calif. (909
595-0144). The first try several years ago showed some of the same porosity
thru the chrome. I felt this was unavoidable and otherwise the quality was
quite decent. After all NO MORE POLISHING.

Recently I had the other two sets done and they are fabulous! I can not
believe the over all quality. The paint is flawless and the buffing
precise. At the risk of being wordy the quality of the buffing work was the
best I have ever seen. The only real stress the plating has taken was the
tire mounting but I see no pealing or flaking. This was not true of some
rims I recently had Victoria Wheel do at their chrome shop.

All this comes with a price but I (obviously) thought it was worth it: The
DeLorean looks GREAT with the chromes. Looking at one of my unchromed cars
by comparison was motivation to get them "finished ASAP". Anyway a set of
four including Calif. tax and shipping back to No. Calif. was $489.00.
The only odd thing was they insisted on a cashiers check of money order
before starting the work.

I have just ordered a new digital camera so may be able to post pictures
soon.

Don, #1325 etc.

By the way I put aftermarket rims on my fifth car just to get the rim
diameter to current tastes. They also look great but I feel like a bit of a
traitor. With the chromes I do not have this problem.