Headlight high/low beams

I have a safety question:
Why do the low beams shut off when the high beams are turned on? Isn't it
kind of stupid to run with half the lights off? The two inner bulbs are
meant to be high beams only. The two outer bulbs have two filaments each:
one for high beam, one for low beam. The Delorean wiring is configured to
only run one or the other set of filaments, but not both at the same time.
Why? Does this produce too much heat in the bulb to have it put out twice
as much wattage?

In an aftermarket truck catalog, I saw a relay module & wiring harness for
sale that keeps the low beams on while the high beams are on. So I know it
is done in other cars as an aftermarket thing, but why aren't cars made like
this? Are they trying to conserve electricity?

Another point is that if you pull the turn signal lever toward you, it
flashes the brights while at the same time leaving the low beams on. So why
not leave the low beams on while you latch the lever forward?

Walt Tampa, FL