Re: [DML] ABS Brakes (Was: Accident)

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Fronzel Neekburm wrote:

> Hi DML, since anti-lock brakes are on the subject plate, I figure I'd
> add my .02$ Ok, what about anti-lock wheels from a saab? I know they

Switching to anti-lock brakes is a very major conversion. You will have
to swap almost the whole braking system from the donor car, and since ABS
systems are electronically controlled you'll need the electronics too.
Modern ABS systems are often controlled by or interact with the engine
computer, which would make such a swap a prohibitive nuisance. You would
have better luck with an early ABS system from some mid-80's car with
simpler electronics.

That said, I think you are better off to take a performance driving school
and learn how to do threshold braking. A driver skilled in braking
nuances can often get better stopping distances in the same car without
ABS vs. with it. And as a bonus, you get a set of driving skills that
works in any care you might drive. Yes, these can be expensive - but
probably cheaper than an ABS conversion :}