From: Joe Palatinus
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 12:25 AM
Subject: [DML] Strange Noise and belt problem

Well Have I had an interesting weekend or what? After I put my Delco
alternator back in (had to get a bolt tightend and voltage regulator
replaced) I noticed a squealing noise comming from the engine when the
alternator was under heavey load (A/c max blower 4) It would only make
this noise in idle or low gears. When I took the car to the Alternator
repair shop to ask what they though the noise was, the man assured me that
it was not the Alternator, but that the belt was not tight enough. Sure
enoguht, I got a crow bar, tightened the belt, and had no problems for the
rest of the day. The next morning I got the same noise. The belt felt
loose again, but the tensioner was still at the same place. I tightened it
to max and the noise went away that time as well. Last night, I was
driving home, and all the sudden, my voltage went to 0, and as I was
turning on my road, I watched my temperature guage rise like a rabbid jack
rabbit. I made it home on a GUll-wing and a prayer, immediately shut off
the car, and watched the gallons of coolant and smoke spew out. After it
cooled down I went out with a flashlight, and noticed that there was no
Alternator/Water pump belt. I also noticed a lot of black dust by the belt
drive pulley. ( where the belt was suppsed to be)I had noticed this black
dust before, when the belt was there, but paid not attention to it. The
belt did not simply fall off, it disintegrated. What caused this to
happen? I was a new belt.
Thanks
Joe Palatinus
VIN 17167 6808