Duty Cost (was: Importing a Delorean to the USA)

Duty Cost (was: Importing a Delorean to the USA)

Without asking you how much you had to pay to bring it in, I'd like to know on what price they base the duty - original retail, your buying price, a book value (if so, which book?).

James

SNIP

For anyone who is curious, importing a Delorean from Canada to the US is very straight forward. I was, however, required to pay duty, since the car was not manufactured in North America (I think it was 2.5% on the first $1000, and 1% for the rest or something like that). So, for those of you looking for a Delorean, don't rule out the Canadian offerings (just watch for rust!).

Eric Hennebury
VIN 17065 (now a permanent resident)