Re: The next time you want to complain about parts prices, think Lotus.

Re: The next time you want to complain about parts prices, think Lotus.

<MODERATOR's NOTE: It's clear many think parts prices are a good deal.
Without something new or interesting on this, further "me too" posts
will be killed>

In my opinion if the prices of the delorean parts started to reflect
what it would cost to duplicate and replace New Old Stock (NOS) then
you would see significantly higher prices being charged. We still are
not paying much more than the parts cost in the early 80's adjusted
for inflation. Call me a traitor but if the prices of the parts was
higher then the cars (at least the ones in good shape) would be worth
alot more. Think about it, if you could buy a parts car for $6,000
and
the parts to fix it up was $10,000 then the running car that could be
purchesed instead would be worth more because of the labor and time
required. Also if you ever went to the dealer to order a part for
your
daily driver how often did the dealer have to order the part and tell
you 2-3 days and then find out it's backorderd to a regional
wharehouse or maybe the vender and wait a week or more? We as
delorean
owners are very fortunate to have such a large supply of parts as
quick as we want them. Most people are not aware of the fact that
when
production was shut down there was a large supply of parts that was
returned to the parts supply from the assembly line. As an orphan
make
we were blessed with a very large supply of parts. This is a
double-edged sword as it has kept the venders from having to source
many parts and paying current prices and passing those costs along.
Another fact is that many parts can be gotten from other car dealers
like volvo. Price a fuel distributer from a volvo dealer and compare
it to a delorean vender. See how long it would take to get because
they don't stock such "old" parts. Ask them how to troubleshoot a
problem and then thank people like DMC Joe or Rob Grady who not only
will spend the time with you but really know the car and can help you
over the phone without seeing the car. If you don't patronize the
dealers who are trying to make a living keeping the marque alive then
a strange thing will happen, there won't be people like this because
they coudn't make a living at it. Then you won't hear anyone
complaining about prices because there are no parts to buy at any
price. You will start to stick in parts that aren't quite right or
maybe not fix some things. The cars will get worse and worse and
worth
less and less. Whenever I go to car shows and people ask about parts
they are surprised that you can buy them. In some cases I believe it
keeps some from considering buying a Delorean. Just my $.02 worth
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

ps. Go to delorean one's website and look at what he will sell you
for
just $50,000. Maybe he knows what it takes to fix up a "D" and what
the parts are really worth. (just kidding)