Re: [DML] Engine : to fix or replace ... that is the question?

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, ian wrote:

> 1. Refurbish the existing that has had the valve covers and exhaust
> headers off. (I have a complete automatic engine with 28k miles from
> my spares-DMC)

Depending on where the engine has been stored, you might find that the
internal parts have corroded if they have been exposed for six years. If
you think the engine is in good shape internally you could probably put it
back together and use it.

It would probably be simpler to use your spare engine (if you know it is
in good condition).

> 2. A Turbo engine : BAE single turbo or alternatives??? ...........
> I'm a bit wary having had experience with turbo motorcycles and a
> 924Turbo ... how reliable is a post-turboed engine?

The BAE single turbo kit is no longer available, but the Island twin turbo
kit is. This is a fairly expensive option and the turbos are less useful
on an automatic engine due to the gearing. But the reliability isn't
affected very much.

> 3. Spend $5k and get a new Houston PRV?

This is a good idea if you want them to put the new high-performance parts
on. But, you could also send them your 3800 mile engine, have them look
it over and modify for performance, and return to you. It might be
cheaper that way.

> By the way, I'm not interested in disfiguring the car to accommodate a
> V8 or non-PRV engine!

I think "disfiguring" is a strong word. It's possible to do an engine
swap without making any structural changes to the car. But, you do lose
originality; I probably wouldn't do an engine swap on a rare RHD car
myself :}