Weak fan circulation

When I got my D in February, the heater would only blow one way... no
defrost, etc. All fan settings worked, but nearly all the air came from the
center of the dash. Ok, I rebuilt the mode switch, now I can redirect the air
as intended, but the flow is pretty feeble. A.C. just ooozes lazily out.
Defrost doesn't work any better, really, than when it didn't blow on the
windows at all. I usually ride around with the windows open, whether A.C. or
defroster is on or not. (I've been spending my cash on preventative
maintenance/replacement of safety items and mechanicals, not creature
conforts.) The fan sounds like it's blowing quite vigorously. I looked/
felt under the right dash and the hoses seem connected. No air gushing out.
But with the A.C. on, it felt a bit cool and breezy under the dash where you
cram your hand to reach the mode switch. Ideas anyone?

-Wayne
"Living the dream" (and sometimes squinting to see)
11174