Re: Straight skinny on Hot Start Relay

Dear James and Joe
Hey, slow down , I was simply asked to look into helping someone get
out of trouble.
All three of my cars have a relay socket lying in the compartment
for some reason. Good to bad judgement on De Loreans part I don't
know, why they were put there or if they used it or not I don't know,
but I do know it's there and it's talk about it in the service
manuals and writen about it in the workshop books.
There is no wiring changes. Just a simple relay modification then
plug in. I have never used it in all three of my cars; but when I was
bringing one back from California and having to stop every 200 miles
or so, the car wouldn't start. I would take of the air breather and
prime it with a little gas then start up and drive a little longer.
The hot start relay does nothing more than to prime the system with a
little gas thru the cold start injector which it does when the engine
is cold or below 95 degrees.To me it's safer than pouring gas down
the air flow to get started. Your other choice is to sit and wait. To
me it's the lesser of two evils and less fire hazzard than pouring
gas. I don't recommend running it all the time because your right:
something is wrong with the system.
But: I keep it in my survival box along with my special stainless
steel De Lorean paper clips, Jumper clips, fuel pump, relay and
circut breaker to fix a problem when it comes up.I can't keep gas in
the tool box.
I do agree if it has to be used there is a problem. That's why I
take my car to Steve to be tuned. But how do you do that when your
stranded and in the middle of a shopping center parking lot or in the
middle of the desert. To me it's better that the alternative.
In closing, I'm here to help other people as you have and others
to have a more pleasant De Lorean driving experience. As I learn more
about the electrical area of the car I will help make them a more
reliable. No different than anyone else that applies modern
technology or different technology to a old problem. Hense: The new
200hp engine,De Lorean 140 amp alternator and The Fan Fix or The Fan
Zilla. (Driving the Dream)
John
11004