Re: POR-15 for Frame restoration

You are correct but I didn't mean that I would leave it chipped. If
left it will rust out a hole, but it will be alot easir to repair a
small rust hole then and entire frame that was weakend by rust
because it spread under the coating and you couldn't see it.

It will also be easier to repair that chipped area with a "touch up"
of POR-15. You only have to apply the POR-15 to that area to cover
the chip where as with the Epoxy paint (or any other paint) you would
have to remove the epoxy from the surrounding area to make sure the
rust hasn't spread, prep the metal again with some chemical to
neutrilize the rust then put on a coat of more epoxy paint. Since you
can paint over rust with the POR-15 (and it will stop the rust),
there is not that much preping to do on the metal but to just remove
loose rust. The same goes for Powder coating, if it chips only the
area exposed will rust but it's not that easy to repair powder
coating unless you feel like removing your frame again and having re-
powder coated or you can patch that chip with POR-15.

I have had alot responses on this and I thank everyone who did. I
have read and heard that some people are going to powder their frame
and there are other who have used and are very satisfied with the POR-
15 results. I am going to use the POR-15 for a number of reasons:

1. It's cheaper and easier (planning a wedding realy hurts the pocket
for other things).

2. I can do it myself (I am a true "do-it-yourselfer").

3. Easier to repair IF it does chip, and from what I have heard the
only thing that hurts the POR-15 is Brake fluid.

I'll post my results with pictures on my website when I have
everything done.

Steve
www.dmcman.homestead.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, gonedeaf85@xxxx wrote:
> I'm no genius but from what I understand rust eats away at metal.
If the
> paint chips and the frame is exposed, then that area will rust.
Possibly the