RE: [DML] Driving Tour Dry Run Report

GPS = Global Positioning System. It uses DoD satellites to pinpoint your
location on Earth to within 100 feet. Combine it with mapping software and
you're never lost! Some of the rental-car companies put these things in
high-end cars. You can input your destination and it will determine the
route and read the directions aloud, TELLING YOU WHEN TO TURN. Very cool.
Personally, I want the Alpine in-dash model that looks like a regular radio,
but has the screen pop out:

http://www.alpine1.com/html/De_n_138_n_n.html

In the DMC-12, however, this would block the air vents. (sigh)

HUD=Heads-Up Display. It's use in fighter jets, etc., where the dash info
is projected into the windshield. You focus on the foreground to see your
instruments, or the background to see where you're going, but in either case
you got to keep your eyes forward. Probably not a great idea in a car but
it sounds fun. (Maybe if the DMC ever flies...)

Anyway, I'm bringing a notebook PC to Cleveland with a GPS receiver that
plugs into the serial port and has mapping software. But I've never tried
it before, so it should be interesting.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695