From: Delorean17@xxxx
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] I have a factory demo car?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:22:55 EDT

Hello,
I was digging through the box of parts that came with my car and I found
the original warranty with the original owners name and address on it. At
the bottom it shows a * and says*"Delivered at retail or put in to use as
demo or company car" and next to the date of delivery it has a * typed in.
I bought the car from the second owner who was told it was a FACTORY PAINTED
test vehicle by the first owner. He was told by the first owner that it was
painted by Dupont for DeLorean to find out the best way to paint a "d". The
dealer said it came off the truck black. After hours of looking at
peoplefinder.com and so on I found the original owners current address. My
car is an early 81 but wasnt delivered to the dealer until 6/7/82, that
seems a little funny.

I thought there was no way there could be a factory painted test car. but
John DeLorean was asked "how do you feel about people painting there cars"
he said "it was our intention to make paint available and we worked with
DUPONT to develop a series of paints to the dealers" "WE HAD COMPLETED
DEVELOPMENT WORK WITH DUPONT BUT WE NEVER GOT AROUND TO STARTING TO SELL
IT""DeLorean Gold Portollio article" If development work was done surely
they painted something. maybe it was a just a panel or maybe an entire car.

I just sent a letter out to the original owner today to see what they said
when he bought it. before everyone starts saying there was NEVER a factory
painted car please have something to back it up with. I am VERY unsure that
if it is a factory job and sorta dought it but I just find it interesting, I
actually prefer the stainless. The "demo car" on the warranty just kinda got
me thinking the other day. does anyone know anything about this? I will let
everyone know what the original owner says.
well I have to go finish "Dream maker" now. Its really quite good.

Thanks for reading #2496-

Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at: www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

moderator@xxxx