Electrical connections on Water Pump job

Electrical connections on Water Pump job

I am at the half way point on replacing my water pump. I have everything removed, cleaned up (it took about 3 hours cleaning all of the yuk out of the little pockets), organized, and hoses inspected. In addition to replacing the water pump, I am also replacing all of the hoses involved (obviously) as well as the vacuum lines and hose clamps. In my inspection of everything, I noticed a couple of things that are bothering me a bit. Attached to the Water Distribution Pipe (Item #20 in section 1, subsection 3, group 0 in the parts manual) which is the Y shaped pipe coming from the water pump to the block on the opposite side. On the drivers side of the pipe, there is a valve (?) with three vacuum lines attached. On the passenger side, there are two electrical sensors (?) - one just above the point where the pipe attaches to the block (shown in the parts manual at the above listed location, but not identified) and another just a little toward the water pump (not shown in the parts manual). Once this area was exposed, I noticed that the sensor on the passenger side just above the block inlet did not have anything attached to it. Although, I did find two connectors pulled out of the way and either one could be what should be connected. On the DMC News site in the water pump replacement section, there is a picture that shows a connector with two green wires exiting it connected to this sensor (?). One of the connectors that I found fit that description, so I connected it. However, there is another connector (black with one black wire) still without a home - this black wire exits the same harness that the two green wires exit and is attached to the harness at just about the same location as the greens. Does anyone know where this wire should be connected? Also, does anyone know why the green wire connector would not have been connected? What is the purpose of the three items connected to the Water Distribution Pipe?

Thank you Dave Swingle for your help in the description (and especially the pictures) of the water pump job. Very, very helpful. This is a perfect example of how we come together to help each other as owners. I love this group!

Thank you for your help,

Sean Howley
VIN#2345