[DML] Re: TORSION BAR wrench

Delorean17@xxxx wrote:

> <snip>
> Thanks for the tips Micheal. I dont really under stand your idea with
> the 4x4, could you clarify a little bit more?. I would be interested in
> trying it. I am VERY sorry to hear about your car. what happens to it now?
> my entire passenger side of my car has to be replaced(long story) and I only
> have a door at this time. just need 2 fenders. did those get smashed? My
> dream is getting more expensive than expected:(
>
> Thanks in advance
> David,

David,

the idea actually came from Pat at MotorVation in Dallas... lucky devil, he was
actually trained at DMC - another story, that!

Anyway, the idea is to provide you, the guy with the pull bar, with better
leverage. The 4x4 is laid across the back of the D, about half way up from where
the slats rest. The idea is to have the top of the 4x4 (actually, the bottom of
the 1/2 x 1/2 dado) level with a line drawn from the torsion bar bolt. To the
torsion bar, you attach your 1/2" drive socket and a nice long 1/2" extension bar
approx. 18"-24" long. Then you rest the extension bar in the dado slot in the
4x4. You attach the pull bar to the 1/2" extension bar, and to the pull bar you
also slide over a piece of 3/4" or 1" iron pipe... about 3-4 feet long. You can
now pull on the iron pipe, using the 4x4 to brace the pivot as you pull on the
bar. You now have the means to leverage your full body weight against that
torsion bar.

With the help of an aide, who can test the door, loosen and lock the torsion, you
can get set it up pretty easily. Just be very careful with the setup... one
wrong move and the socket will slip off the torsion bar, the socket and extension
can slide through the rear window... and to add insult to injury, the falling
door can also blow out the rear window(s) or the window(s) in the door. Needless
to say, this is a very hazardous operation. FYI - You need to take extreme
caution when you do this.

Hope this helps...

--
All the best -
_
| N & W | The Virtual Workshop, Inc.
= oo---oo = P.O. Box 98 Titusville Fl 32781
email: <mmyjak@xxxx> voice&fax: 321.264.0440