[DML] What could have been... ;)

First some corrections: Robert Rooney <dmcvegas@xxxx> wrote:

The reason that "Wall Street" changed it's mind about investing was
because right as this sotck offering was about to have gone thru, the
"Gold Facets" memo "popped" up. With this memo were aligations of
fraud, corruption, etc... William Haddad who was in charge of
publicity, wrote the memo, and had JZD's personal secratary, Marion
Gibson deliver it to Tony Blair.

It was definitely not Tony Blair! (Britain's Prime Minister right now, and is the head of the Labour Party)

Gibson delivered the forged memo from Haddad to a member of Parliament (Conservative) called Nicholas Raymond Winterton

(GRAND DELUSIONS,page 273)

The most interesting part here is that Mr. Winterton couldn't get hold of Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (who was visiting Australia at that time) so he chose to go to the press with the material!

Page 274: "His best deal came from the country's best-selling paper, the NEWS OF THE WORLD, a sensationalist tabloid that has never prided itself on accuracy".

I think this tells it all... it is was blew the stock offering...

DMC were also in the process of developing the Euro-DeLoreans at that time. I'm sure that over here it would have been a best-seller.

The DeLorean is sometimes criticized for lack of power which really makes sense since Americans are used to the V8s.

But in Europe, we have never had the same ideas on big engines, so here a DeLorean V6 would be very attractive
(as it is still over here - lots of imports).

I'm still thinking of what could have been, had DMC initiated the Euro-DeLorean at the same time as hitting the US market with the first cars.

I strongly believe that the Euro-DeLoreans would have kept the company floating and that the extra DeLoreans which got stockpiled in the US (when the recession sat in) could easily have been "swallowed" by the European market.

Then the Twin-Turbo would have made it to the US market, and with the 4-door DeLorean sedan coming out in 1984.

Very best wishes Stian Birkeland NORWAY VIN # 6759