[DML] Re: Results of Daily Driver Cost Poll

[DML] Re: Results of Daily Driver Cost Poll

In a message dated 3/8/00 10:18:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dmc_norway@xxxx writes:

<< I want everyone to know that I didn't get my DeLorean
as an investment for the future. I got it because I simply just love
everything about it. >>

I agree. Cars are not good "investments." Neither are most other hobbies.
Buy stocks or something if you want to invest. A collector car is not
something you buy for mere transportation either. Money spent on a collector
car could be considered recreation or even labor of love. ON THE OTHER
HAND...
My wife said it was a stupid waste of money to spend thousands of dollars a
year, if that's what it takes, to keep an "old car"... 8-O ... on the road.
I said, "Well, we spent around $12k on our Neon. After 5 years, it's now
worth maybe $3-4k... I'm guessing... or less. So it "cost" us nearly two
thousand a year, and that's with no improvements." When I spent $600. on
brake work, coolant lines etc. last week, I was improving my D. I won't be
redoing those items next year, or maybe ever. Like the saying goes, "you
can pay me now, or you can pay me later." The money I spend year to year I
don't expect to get back. That's the cost of having fun, like eating at a
restaurant, paying for cable tv, renting a video, or taking a vacation. (My
relatives have boats they use a few times each summer. I drive my D any day
there isn't pouring rain, or snow on the ground. Yee hah! :-p ) And if I
ever sell it, (hopefully never, ) I'll quite likely get back my initial
investment. Try that with any everyday car!

-Wayne A. Ernst
"Living the dream"
VIN...11174 And yes, she eventually gave in! 8-D ...
and likes it!!