[DML] Re: Results of Daily Driver Cost Poll

Knut wrote:

> For a daily driver, I expect that about 10,000 miles driven
> annually might be fairly representative (I put a little more than
> this on my car, but I believe the insurance companies assume
> something close to 10K miles per year). In 5 years this is
> 50,000 miles worth of usage. I'm surprised that some
> respondents indicate they have had costs as low as
> 1-2 thousand dollars.

I drive about 20,000 miles/year, but I split it between four cars so the
DeLorean only gets about 5,000. I still consider my DeLorean a daily
driver, since I jump in and drive it any time I feel the urge. I drive
it everywhere, just as I do the other three cars.

> Assuming you change your oil every 3000 miles
> (which you should) you'll go through 17 oil changes.
> For a cheap oil change you'll pay about $25 . . .

$25 includes the cost of a nice new filter, I presume? It seems too
expensive for "cheap" oil alone.

Carson Clark said:

> I think one thing you should have done for this survey is qualify it
> with how long the owner has owned the car. I just purchased
> mine and havent had it a year yet. But i had to spend over $1k
> on it after i bought it....

The poll did ask for veteran owners who have had their DeLoreans for
five years or more. The poll was only a means to start a discussion.
Now that the rough numbers are in, the specific expenses encountered
during those five years (like your $1,000 initial work) can fit into the
discussion.

> . . . now it might be such a good car that it will go for
> another 2 years before i spend any more money on it....

If you use your DeLorean as a daily driver this cannot be true. The car
will need normal maintenance and expendable parts must be replaced. In
addition to oil and filters, a daily driver is bound to need a few
hoses, belts, door struts, brake pads, etc. just as any other car would
in two years. Within five years you might need a clutch, brake rotors &
calipers, tires, plus an alternator/fuel pump/AC compressor/other
unpredictable part.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 7 years