[DML] Re: RTV SEALANT???

At 01:46 PM 2/23/00 PST, you wrote:

>Can someone please explain to me what RTV stands for? As in RTV SEALANT...
>
>This is, as far as I can tell, the black "goo" rubber...the "dynamic" soft,
>plastic sealant in the top door sills, around screws etc. so that water
>intrusion is not possible. The sealant tends to loosen with age, so I need
>new sealant.
>
>Now, the shops over here carry lots of sealants, though I can't find an "RTV
>sealant" as described in the Service Bulletin for Water Leaks.
>
>One sealant consists of Butyl rubber.
>Another sealant consists of polyurethane sealant.
>A third sealant is for sealing car windows around the edges.
>
>Now - what sealant of these three is the best to use on the DeLorean?
>Or are all three the wrong ones? If so, what is the correct one if RTV
>sealant does not longer exist?
>
>Best wishes
>Stian Birkeland
>NORWAY

>Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
>www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

>moderator@xxxx

>-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=dmcnews&m=1

reply:

RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing. RTV is a family of long chain polymers that
when exposed to NO2 the chains begin linking up to form a semi-solid material. It is not an actual rubber and contains no rubber compounds. The reason the material is very stick before curing is the long chains of molecules have very strong ionic bonds. The reason it forms a water tight seal
is due to the fact that the RTV will fill all the minute pits and openings in both the metal of the car and the porous surface of "say a rubber door seal". When the RTV finished curing (becoming a solid) all the chains link forming a solid mass that now has a firm "Mechanical" grip on both surfaces.

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!